Monday, August 6, 2012

It just went from sucks to blows

Snap. Crackle. POP!

Allow me to get the good news out of the way. All of my blood counts today were as good if not better than we’ve seen in months. My counseling session was productive. My oncologist feels everything is moving in the right direction. I can remove one prescription from my daily meds and it looks as though the bacterial infection is all healed.

However, like any good Shakespearian tragedy, the main character needs a flaw. My legs presently are the flaw. As you’ve read in prior posts, an aspiration, injection, bone graft and fracture reconstruction are planned for this Wednesday. The plot thickened this afternoon.

Imagine yourself sitting in the waiting room for your name to be called. It feels like winning the lottery, when it happens. Woohoo! I get to move from this waiting room to waiting in “the” room.

In an effort to stand from the prone position, my right knee pops. I hear it. I feel it. I’m now concerned about it.

This continued to happen on 3 more occasions during my day at clinic. The drive home was difficult because moving my leg from pedal to pedal became a painful chore. While exiting the car at home, the knee popped again and here come the stairs. Stair 1 – pop. Stair 2 – pop. Stair 3 – I collapsed on the staircase from exhaustion and pain with tears in my eyes. It took about 10 minutes but I eventually arrived on the landing after conquering Mount Saint Richmond (6 stairs).

Needless to say, I am now using a walker instead of crutches. I now have a call into my orthopedic surgeon. I am now wearing the brace for my fractured left on my right knee. And finally, I am favoring the fractured left leg over the right one.

Despite everything, I am still confident in my surgeon and probable success of surgery. It might just be a longer recovery.

I pray for one pain-free day. It may not come before I’m buried but at least it gives me something to look forward to. Grisly but true.

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Adam you are an inspiration to anyone fighting any kind of pain and or disease.....you need a place to vent your emotions....my problems although they are real seem very small compared to yours. Keep living each day to the fullest...fight on for yourself and Gabe...he will look back someday in adulthood and know he has an amazing Dad!

    ReplyDelete