Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Business just picked up

Having intelligent, well-respected, personable, and prompt doctors are a blessing and a curse. Curse, you say? Yes, curse. Only when referring to their ability to wake you from a sound sleep at 8am with bad news.

So, let’s get down to business because I am awake now.

Surgeon: So what’s going on with the knee?

Me: My knee popped when I was trying to stand up yesterday. I have trouble weight bearing and the pain is tremendous.

Surgeon: What do you want to do?

Me: We probably need to scope it, but you said that might not be a good idea with everything else you’re already doing. And how will I manage to get around, especially up my front stairs with 2 surgically repaired legs.

Surgeon: Some low mumbling and muttering to himself… random terms included; partially torn ACL, cartilage tear, ruptured meniscus….umm. We can do the scope. It won’t be too bad. Clean up the debris behind your knee and the torn cartilage, and assess the total damage to the ACL.

Me: What kind of shape will that leave me in?

Surgeon: It really won’t be much worse than what was already planned. Maybe an extra day in the hospital, but you’ll be fine.

And there we have it. What started as an aspiration and cortisone injection has turned into orthoscopic knee surgery. I knew if I kept buying lottery tickets, eventually I’d get a winner. Looks like my numbers finally came up.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment