Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Let's Get Physical

Physical therapy (PT) became on Monday after assessing my needs at last Wednesday’s consultation. Coming off of a double orthoscopic procedure there has been pain, stiffness, swelling, and lack of mobility.

During the assessment, I mentioned a certain snapping, which occurs below both knee caps and towards the exterior of my knee when I straighten my legs from a 90 degree angle. Sarah, my physical therapist, believes this could be my IT (iliotibial) band. It snaps loudly and hurts.

The iliotibial band is a superficial thickening of tissue on the outside of the knee, extending from the outside of the pelvis, over the hip and knee, and inserting just below the knee. See picture below.



At the PT office, they have heard a woman’s band snap so loudly in her hip, it sounded like she broke it. It commonly tightens on men, and in most athletes who typically run, hike, bike, or weight train (specifically squats). There are ways to loosen the band. You can utilize a foam tube like a rolling pin and roll over the band continuously. Heat helps and ice only if sore.

My largest concern is quad strength. Seeing I am unable to do seated quad lifts until the IT band loosens, we are working different avenues. Began hips thrusts while lying on my back. I feel like there should be a pole and disco globe, when I practice. Front, rear, and side standing straight legged leg lifts. Weighted-standing forward knee bends. I will go 2 days a week and perform the exercises another 1-2 days plus using the stationary bike.

All in all, I did fine. Slight tightness today coupled with a little dull pain. I hate to go back and say it was too easy, but it was. We’ll have to step it up a notch. The saying “no pain, no gain” doesn’t apply, but I need more of a challenge.

As for cardio, running is out of the question at this time. Running equates to 3 times your body weight into your legs with every stride. Given the current state of my necrosis, my legs could snap like twigs. So, low impact walking and bike riding are my options.

So what are my goals? My short-term goals are to walk without swinging my legs from the hip, be able to climb up and down stairs with both legs, and walk a 5K, before having either knee replaced. My long-term goal is to live a long life and continue fighting until my last breath.

Cheers!

1 comment: