Wednesday, May 5, 2010

4-star treatment

Picture this. You have your own room. You have your own bed. You have your own bathroom and shower. You have a TV with cable and a DVD player. You have a view of the city. Someone makes your bed, cleans your room and bathroom, brings you food and drink to order, and bathes you everyday. Sounds pretty good right? Where do I sign up? Let me further elaborate.

Your room has a glass wall and door. Your house is a semi-circle corridor of 12 exact same rooms. You are under constant surveillance in your self-contained fishbowl. You aren’t allowed to leave your enclosure without safety mask and gloves. Every four hours whether you are asleep or awake, someone interrupts you and every 12 hours you give blood. Your intake and outtake (that’s right, good ole’ #1 and #2) are kept for examination and measured several times a day. Now how does this sound? That is taking 4-star treatment to the extreme.

Yes, this is the life I led for 4 straight weeks in the BMT (Bone Marrow Transplant) ward at Brigham & Women’s hospital in Oct and Nov of 2008. However, what I just described may actually sound like 4-star treatment after I divulge more of my experiences.

I’ll allow you to digest this information and if you want to stay with me, more fun will follow.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Cheers
~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment