Monday, November 23, 2009

Blood on the Down

Neutrophil granulocytes, commonly referred to as Neutrophils, are the most abundant type of white blood cells in humans and form an essential part of the immune system. Neutrophils are typically found in your blood stream. However, in the beginning stages of inflammation, particularly with bacterial infections and some cancers, neutrophils are one of the first responders of inflammatory cells to move toward the inflamed site.

On two separate occasions since my diagnosis with cancer, my Neutrophil count has dropped to zero. On both occasions I’ve been hospitalized. As far as I know you need to have a Neutrophil count of at least five, or at least I needed MY count to be five to be released from the hospital.

My first experience with a low Neutrophil count was following my third treatment of chemotherapy around July 4th of 2008. I had a high temperature, mouth sores, dehydration, and exhaustion. After contacting my oncologist, I went to Dana Farber to be checked out. Upon arrival to the hospital, my temperature was 102.5. As soon as the nurse started to draw blood cultures, I passed out and had the first and only seizure of my life.

Waking up from a seizure and seeing 20 strange faces in front of you, your wife crying and people yelling “Code” and trying to stick you with IV needles is quite the experience. If I hadn’t just regained consciousness, I probably would have passed out again. I didn’t know what happened and no one would answer my two questions. “What happened?” and “What does that mean?”

Regardless, I was placed on a stretcher, put in an ambulance and taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital. After five days of tests, IV fluids and antibiotics, my Neutrophils rose to a normal level, my temperature dropped but we never found out what kind of infection I had.

Now this past Memorial day, I had no temperature, felt fine and just happened to be at clinic for my regular monthly check-up, but I had no Neutrophils in my blood work. I went to Boston for a check up and ended up staying in the hospital for 5 days. Tons of scans, blood work, and even another bone marrow biopsy found no infections or problems in my body. My Neutrophils were at zero for 3 days. Day four it rose to one and morning five it was at twenty-two and I was released.

I think my point is whether I feel sick or don’t, whenever I have blood work done there is always a chance I will hospitalized. The doctors and nurses will poke and prod. They won’t find any problems and I’ll magically be better 3-4 days. Talk about frustrating!

I want to close this post my saying I am very proud of my son. We just celebrated his 3rd birthday. I don’t remember his birthday last year as I was only 16 days removed from the stem cell transplant. Gabe is adjusting so well to life with his parents separated. He can spell his name, count to 24, sing “you are my sunshine”, ask to use the potty, and wants to help or do everything my himself. He knows his full name, his mommy’s and daddy’s names. He says “I love you” all the time. He is SO special and SO smart. He will be my legacy one day when I’m gone and I couldn’t be prouder.

Daddy loves you, Gabe. Happy Birthday!

~Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment