Sunday, June 1, 2014

Let's review

I am only 19 days away from my second total joint replacement in less than 8 months. As this long awaited event nears I can’t help but think back on the last 6 years of my life. I am obviously still alive but it reads like a bad luck novel.

Diagnosed with rare Mantle Cell Lymphoma.

Four months of r-Chop chemotherapy treatment.

One seizure followed by 3 nights of in-patient observation.

Two weeks of localized radiation.

One allogeneic stem cell transplant consisting of chemotherapy, full-body radiation, stem cell infusion, mucositis, neutropenia, vomiting, diarrhea, bed soiling, wetting, and 5 weeks in-patient.

Pulmonary graft versus host disease.

One rectal fistula requiring corrective conscious surgery.

Prolonged steroid cycles.

Compression fracture of my lower back.

Cataracts in both eyes requiring surgery.

Avascular necrosis in both legs and hips, requiring left knee and right hip replacement.

One divorce.

Oh and I may be losing my disability benefits.

I try desperately to think of the glass half-full but it always looks half-empty to me. Six years ago, a nurse told me if I survive treatment, I’ll have earned the right to do and say whatever I want to anyone. I think it is a brilliant theory but also a cop out to be a complete jackass. I still believe you treat people as you’d like to be treated. Don’t go out of your way to be rude. Don’t boss people around. Don’t intentionally embarrass someone. Timing does matter. Try not to hold a grudge (my own personal plight). Extend a hand to pick someone up instead of kicking them when they’re down.

Unless I win my appeal with Social Security, there probably won’t be another post until I’m out of surgery.

Thank you to my supporters. I know who you are.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment