Thursday, July 15, 2010

If it's not one thing, it's another.

In the past 8 days, my oncologist has made reference to my survival of Mantle Cell Lymphoma in more than one way. First by saying, “Can you believe (that) in 4 months, it will be 2 years (referring to when we started the stem cell transplant). Second by saying, “Well, you are our ‘wonder’ patient.” Making reference to the fact that I’ve broken the mold on diagnosis, treatment, and survival for this lymphoma.

As refreshing and yet disturbing as these comments are, the problems keep coming.

In the past two months, we (my oncologists and I) discovered some new abnormalities in my blood. White blood cell counts, lipid levels, kidney functions, and electrolytes are normal. However, my overall red blood cell (RBC) count and platelets are low. This discovery caused them to drain 17 vials of blood yesterday in hopes of finding an answer. But as we‘ve found in the past, my body doesn’t follow any true diagnosis for disease or disorder. Allow me to explain further.

Hemolytic anemia is the abnormal breakdown of RBC’s either in the blood vessels or else where in the body. Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia or MAHA is a subgroup of hemolytic anemia caused by the tightness or constriction of blood vessels. When RBC’s are looked at under a microscope, they look fragmented and edged, instead of circular as blood cells should. Currently all signs point to the diagnosis of MAHA. However, my other blood work (kidneys function, etc), and lack of heart problems, jaundice or pallor make me yet again an anomaly who doesn’t fit the bill. My team of doctors has no plan of attack yet and we are still awaiting more blood results.

Moving right along, let’s discuss my left knee. For the past several weeks, I have experienced pain, swelling and discomfort behind my left knee. After years of burdening the load for a bum right knee, I assumed wear and tear had finally caught up. Of course, I am wrong. There is a chance, torn cartilage or ligament damage will be found, but after yesterday’s ultrasound we discovered a Baker’s cyst.



A Baker’s cyst is the benign swelling of a bursa behind the knee joint. It may be caused by other damage already in the knee and typically there is no true treatment plan. If it becomes too painful and discomforting, then is may be drained and a cortisone shot could be used but in most cases it either bursts internally or reduces on its own. Leg elevation, ice, and relaxation are usually the treatment plan.

Needless to say, I ran around from 8:30am to 5pm yesterday. Peabody to Dana Farber, check in, blood draw, check in again, oncologist appointment, check in again, back to blood draw, kill time in cafeteria for an hour waiting for an ultrasound, drive to Salem Hospital for knee ultrasound because Brigham nor Dana Farber could scan me, drive back home to Peabody just in time to see my mom arriving with Gabriel from daycare. If the cancer doesn’t kill me, the running around will.

So in a nutshell, I’ve gone from having a blood disease to now having a blood disorder. I have a royal pain in my knee instead of my ass. My doctors are shocked yet happy I’m alive, so everything else is gravy.

That’s all for now. I hope to get back to telling tales of my experiences in the hospital during my stem cell transplant soon. It seems like life keeps getting the way. Be well!

~Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment